Social-Emotional Learning (SEL)
Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) Links
SEL Standards and Frameworks:
- Massachusetts DESE Curriculum Resources for SEL
- Massachusetts Comprehensive Health Curriculum Frameworks (scroll to Social-Emotional Health Strand)
- Massachusetts Standards for Preschool and Kindergarten SEL & Approaches to Play and Learning
Online SEL Resources:
- CASEL: Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning
- CSEFEL: Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning
- SEL Research group (University of Illinois at Chicago)
- Responsive Classroom: http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/
- Open Circle (SEL Curriculum from Wellesley College)
- National School Climate Center
- Strong Start / Strong Kids Curriculum: (available at FSU Curriculum Library)
- ZERO TO THREE: Development of Social-Emotional Skills
- Social-Emotional Learning Alliance for Massachusetts: A local organization in Massachusetts promoting SEL.
- Social and Emotional Learning | Edutopia
- Council for Exceptional Children (2014): Yoga in Schools
SEL Presentations and Publications by Dr. Cressey:
Cressey, J. How Social-Emotional Learning Happens in Schools: A Presentation for Massachusetts School Committee Members. Invited presentation given at the Office of Senator Karen Spilka, Massachusetts State House, Boston, MA, September 2018.
Cressey, J. Using Universal Design for Learning (UDL) Principles to Introduce Preservice Teachers to Social and Emotional Learning (SEL). Symposium Paper given at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association (AERA), New York, NY, April 2018.
Cressey, J. “Social-Emotional Learning in Teacher Education: A Needs Assessment Survey of Teacher Educators.” Presentation given to the Massachusetts Consortium for Social-Emotional Learning in Teacher Education, Tufts University, Medford MA, March 2017.
Cressey, J. M., Hansen, S. L., & Gage, M. Introducing a System of Universal Screening and Targeted Intervention for Social-Emotional and Behavioral Support. Paper presented at the annual conference of the New England Educational Research Organization (NEERO), Portsmouth NH, May 2016.
Cressey, J. M., & Whitcomb, S. A. Beyond ODRs: Using Student and Family Surveys in School-wide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports. Paper presented at the annual convention of the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP), Orlando, FL, February 2015.
Cressey, J., Hytholt, V., Gold, S., Correia, M., Grassetti, M., Hara, M., Stadtler-Chester, M., and Kolodny, K. Promoting the Use of Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) Methods with Preservice Teachers. Presentation at the annual conference of the Massachusetts Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (MACTE), Sturbridge, MA, April 2014.
Cressey, J. Developing a universal screening tool for social, emotional, and behavioral competencies. Poster presented at the annual conference of the Association for Positive Behavior Support (APBS), Atlanta, GA, March 2012.
Cressey, J. (2010). Development of a Brief Rating Scale for the Formative Assessment of Positive Behaviors. Open Access Dissertations. Paper 248. http://scholarworks.umass.edu/open_access_dissertations/248